Today a co-worker and I were struggling with the installation of JRE 1.6 update 19. It just wouldn’t install on a few boxes, on other boxes it ran smoothly… this drove me nuts! Time after time I was getting this error:
Product: Java(TM) 6 Update 19 -- Error 1330.A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file C:\Users\########\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_16\Data1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt.
I noticed that it was not an issue of Java, because some other installers would give me the same message… aaargh! So I decided to browse the web (which is always a good idea anyway ), and I found some forum posts about something being wrong with the Certificate Revocation List. Tried all the thing suggested by numerous articles, but to no avail…
So then we decided to be brave and look around in the registry ourselves. And we found the solution . So to all of you who are struggling with the above error (not only for Java ofcourse), try the following:
Delete this registry key and try the install again. For me it would install perfectly :
I find it very annoying that sometimes when I clear an PXE Advertisement from the SCCM console and I reboot the machine I still get the PXE Boot Aborted message… a small workaround I always use is the following.
- Clear the PXE Advertisement using SCCM console
- Stop the WDS Service on the SCCM PXE Server
- Clear RemoteInstall$\SMSTemp on the SCCM PXE Server
- Start WDS Service on the SCCM PXE Server
And voila! The advertisement does work this time around…
All in all I have experienced a lot of troubles with PXE and SCCM… I am really hoping the next version of SCCM will bring major improvements to this part….
I just got home from a whole weekend of working (almost around the clock) at a customer fighting a very nasty virus called WIN32/IRCBOT.RC (it’s called other names as well). The virus had spread around 1100 client systems and approx. 150 server systems. First thing I wondered is how the hell did this virus get in… it’s a pretty old virus which should be picked up by the virus protection and it should not spread among systems via the network, seeing as Microsoft put out a security patch for it. So I started looking around the clients and servers… turned out that the customer didn’t install ANY Microsoft updates at all after deploying the machines.
I ended up writing a very complicated computer startup script that would remove the virus from the clients… on the servers the script was manually started…
The customer was using Norman Anti Virus, which did detect the virus, but didn’t succeed in cleaning/quarantining it. First thing tomorrow they will start uninstalling Norman and start installing Forefront Client Security on the clients (which does actually cure the virus)
So this was a great reminder why we do patch management:
This whole drama could’ve been avoided when the clients and servers would be up to date with the latest security hotfixes from Microsoft.